Avoiding eye strain

Home Forums Home Office Avoiding eye strain

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sasha Sasha 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

Between my work at home gigs and my online schoolwork, I spend pretty much all day on the computer. Eye strain headaches are very common for me, so I’m wondering what I can do to my laptop to reduce eye strain. What have others done to keep eye strain at bay?

Profile photo of Laina
    Laina
    Participant

I’d like to know as well. I suffer from headaches due to eye strain. I’d say the best thing to do is take a break as much as you can. When you’re done for the day try to rest your eyes. I’m not sure if that actually helps but I hope it does.

Profile photo of Susana
    Susana
    Participant

One trick you can try is to rest your eyes every couple of hours by focusing your eyes on something colorful. For example, I have a bulletin board right in front of my with photos, interesting pictures I’ve cut out from magazines, and some cute stickers. Every couple of hours, I take a break from the computer screen and I focus my eyes on one of the pictures of the bulletin board. If I am working away from my desk, I focus my eyes on a vase of flowers on the dining room table. It can be anything really. You can even look out the window at a tree or the sky. It really helps. The trick is that it has to be something colorful.

Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

Susana, thanks for that tip. Why does looking at something colorful help? Is it because the computer screen tends to be bright and white?

Profile photo of Susana
      Susana
      Participant

@mommy2b115 Yes. Your eyes work very hard to focus on the computer screen that is usually too bright, so it helps to take breaks and focus on other objects every once in a while. It also helps to blink. When we are working in front of the computer, we tend to blink less often.

Profile photo of sarah
    sarah
    Participant

I usually experience eye strain when the room is darker than my laptop. Natural light is really important for this reason. I keep my curtains open, and every hour to every two hours, I get up and spend fifteen minutes away from a computer screen of any kind. Dimming the brightness also helps.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

I have the same problem; especially if there isn’t enough light in the room. What I do sometimes is put a bit of rose water on cotton pads and put them on my eyes for about 20 to 30 minutes. It really helps.

Profile photo of WAHWarrior
    WAHWarrior
    Participant

I’ve heard part of the problem is glare. I was told to find anti-glare reading glasses, instead of the regular kind, to cut down on glare. I’ve also heard to get a screen cover, but I have not pursued finding one. I should; I need something to change!

Profile photo of Penelope
    Penelope
    Participant

The idea of focusing on something colorful is a good one, and that should be simple enough to do. I have prescription glasses, but when I get the next pair I am going to have to see about getting something that cuts down on the glare.

Profile photo of Sasha
    Sasha
    Participant

I usually try to get up and walk away from the computer screen at least once an hour. I might put up a colorful poster to focus on near where I work though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup