Do People Take You Seriously?

Home Forums General WAH Questions Do People Take You Seriously?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jasper15 Jasper15 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

I have noticed that when people ask me about what I do in life and I say that I work from home, they don’t take me seriously. Some of them understand how it works, but most of them think that it’s not a serious job. Did you ever encounter the same problem?

Profile photo of Centra
    Centra
    Participant

No, most people do not take me seriously. My husband does and he’s the one who counts the most, but the rest of my friends and family think I just goof off on the computer all day. It’s extremely frustrating, but I’ve gotten used to it.

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

I take you seriously. I think you are doing something that is every bit as demanding as any other job and initially it will have far less results and far more incentive to throw it all in. Tell me any job they are doing with that problem.

Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

I have to echo what Centra posted. My friends DEFINITELY don’t take what I do seriously; they think I just sit at home all day and use “working from home” as an excuse to avoid saying “I don’t work.” I’ve even shown them what I do and still, no respect. Oh well, it’s their loss because they could just as easily do it, too!

Profile photo of Sasha
    Sasha
    Participant

Nope, the only person who takes my working from home seriously is my husband and that’s probably just because he sees how hard I work at it. My mother in particular drives me crazy about getting a “real” job.

Profile photo of Susana
    Susana
    Participant

I don’t think my friends understand everything that working from home entails. When you work from home, there is no one else to pick up the slack if you fall behind, and you don’t get paid if you don’t work. There are no paid vacations. Mostly, I detect a tiny little twinge of jealousy because they are stuck in an office all day, and I get to set my own hours.

Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

Susana, I agree with you about detecting that little twinge of jealousy. I remember one time, a friend of mine said she wished her boyfriend would let her quit her job “like [mine] did” so that she could “stay at home and do nothing and spend his money.” I thought, is that really what you think I do? Stay at home and do nothing and spend my spouse’s money?! Then I realized she must actually be jealous because she perceives my situation to be somehow superior to hers. It’s a shame how catty some people can be.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

I am in the same situation as all of you. My husband and closest friend are the only people who believe in what I do and believe that I’m doing something great. The rest of the people don’t. I don’t really bother about their opinions anyway, but sometimes it’s really frustrating when people call me “housewife”, because I’m not.

Profile photo of sarah
    sarah
    Participant

Most people I know don’t really see working from home as a valid job. I have two friends who make a decent living off of it, though, so I know it’s possible. You just have to find work.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

Making money from home is real and is possible. In fact, I also know people who are making a lot of money off it doing different things online. I agree with Sarah, you just need to find the right work for you and lots of it.

Profile photo of WAHWarrior
    WAHWarrior
    Participant

If people don’t take me seriously, they aren’t telling me about it. Most people want to know how they can get a sweet gig, too. I’ve passed a long info to many people. I have been doing it for three years, though, so that might be why I have some credibility.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

That’s really great, @wahwarrior. The problem is that, when it comes to working at home, people want immediate results and overnight success; otherwise, they think it doesn’t work.

Profile photo of Sanoa
    Sanoa
    Participant

No, people don’t take me seriously at all. They think I’m free to do whatever I want (or whatever they want!) throughout the day. I admit that I do enjoy some flexibility, but I am still working during the day.

Profile photo of Jasper15
    Jasper15
    Participant

I agree completely with all of you, people don’t take me seriously at all. The only person that does is my husband and that’s because he knows what I have gone through to get where I am today and he knows that I am serious about making this work. I wish that other people could see that they could do this too, but I just keep telling myself that maybe they are just jealous.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup