Fairly New To The Game

Home Forums New to WAH Fairly New To The Game

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Justine Justine 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

I am a little new to working at home and I was wondering if there is a way to know if you are not getting ripped off. I mean, what would be a good price for a certain task? How do I know if what the job is offering is not too low or if it’s just right?

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

Good question. I would like to know this too. I would suspect that initially doing bare minimum dollar value may be good until you establish yourself BUT conversely, maybe that cements you as someone prepared to undervalue yourself and simply sets your rate too low?
    I would like some feedback here from others

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

Set your bottom line number, a price that you absolutely will not work for under that amount, then go up from there. You’ll find that some people are willing to work for pennies but don’t worry about them. People know that you get what you pay for and if one person won’t accept your offer move on to the next. Also look around at what other people are charging and what their experience is. Don’t do more work than is agreed upon in the beginning unless you are offered more money to do it, some people want things for cheap and will pile on work, if you don’t put your foot down in the beginning you will be taken advantage of. Don’t do free work just for a good rating, this is something people will do to freelancing newbies just to get free labor. Know your worth and don’t be afraid to negotiate. Don’t go simply off of what you would pay for work, there’s a lot of people out there who are willing to pay more for quality work. Don’t let someone bully you into lowering your price. Most important, don’t underestimate your experience, if you have 10 yrs worth of experience (even if it’s not all WAH experience) you deserve more money.

You will find out that your going to have to start from the bottom and work your way up although you also don’t have to pump out material for next to nothing. Finding your bottom line and your average rate is going to take a lot of trial and error, there really isn’t a set rule when it comes to how much money to ask for.

I think I’m going to add this question to my next article idea, it’s one that I’ve personally struggled with quite a bit. I wish I could give you a “this number” answer but you kind of have to see what works for you.

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

I think for me it really comes down to the question, can I do this? If I can. How easily can I do this? I am happy to knock out a free job for cheap in my spare time but something that is going to take up serious time and concentrated effort I ask a bit for. I have no idea if this is a good idea or too simplistic an approach.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback @Amanda. It’s hard to set a minimum rate, but I will do some research to see how much people charge for certain tasks and I’ll take it from there. Thanks.

Profile photo of WAHWarrior
    WAHWarrior
    Participant

Research really is the key for setting prices. As others said, you don’t want to undervalue yourself, and you don’t want to price yourself out of the market. If you see that what others are charging is less than you can afford to be paid, move on to a offering a different skill (or find a way to do it more cheaply).

Profile photo of Justine
    Justine
    Participant

Great advice. Being able to put a price on what ever you are doing is always really hard. You might think that you are charging too much or too little, but it all comes down to how good your work is and how effective you are at your job. The people that put minimum effort into something are the ones that are going to make pennies on the job. I would suggest that you just try and throw out different numbers and go from there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup