Grocery prices…oh, my!

Home Forums Off Topic Grocery prices…oh, my!

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Marie Marie 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Sasha
    Sasha
    Participant

I know that many of us who work from home, or want to work from home are also looking for ways to be as frugal as possible to make that happen. Has anyone else been in shock over grocery prices recently? We only buy groceries every two weeks, and last week when I went shopping there was as much as $1 price increase on some foods. How do you save money on your groceries?

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

I am an avid couponer so I stock up on most of the stuff and buy our fruits, vegetables, dairy, and some meats from local farms. My husband is a farm boy who is spoiled with organic, fresh, everything. I enjoy junk food lol. I would save more if we didn’t get so much from local farms but I would rather use the savings from the grocery store chains and put it into the local farms.

I used to get hundreds of dollars worth of groceries for $10-30 but, ironically, since that extreme coupon show came out couponing has become a lot harder. Stores have started putting rules on things like coupon limits and not being allowed to clear shelves or only so many items per person. You can get around it with multiple orders but then taxes take up a lot of your savings so I no longer get the same thrill as I used to. Saving $75 on a $125 bill is my average now.

I still dominate retail sales though, I saved $300 on a close out sale with coupons, I only spent $2 on expensive name brand clothes and accessories that was my personal best lol.

I also have a small garden in my yard with german tomatoes, roma tomatoes, bell peppers, parsley, basil, garlic, and onion. I can my own spaghetti sauce and salsa and I dry left over parsley and basil for seasonings.

I like to be frugal, I think I would be one of those crazy cheap hoarders who you didn’t know it but was secretly loaded if I one day became a millionaire lol

Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

We save money by buying store brand unless a national brand is cheaper. We also look at the price per ounce of a food and not just the price per package; sometimes you do better buying in large quantities, but other times you actually come out better to buy multiples of smaller packages.

Profile photo of Arcanaa
    Arcanaa
    Participant

I am all about the use of coupons, most of the ones I get are free and there are tons of places online that list store deals. I have to head out today and I am going to stick to my budget, still using coupons and the store savings card too. You really can save quite a bit with minimal time put into the “saving” part.

Profile photo of Centra
    Centra
    Participant

I tried the coupon thing, but I could never find coupons for the brands and items I usually buy. I completely agree that food prices have gotten out of control and something needs to be done about this. I can’t believe how much everything has increased in a matter of a few years.

Profile photo of sarah
    sarah
    Participant

I use a lot of coupon apps to supplement my paper coupons. It doesn’t take away from the bill right away, but the eventual kickbacks do help us out. Every little bit counts!

Profile photo of Sasha
    Sasha
    Participant

The grocery store I have been using the most lately is a discount grocery store so they don’t take coupons. 🙁 Most coupons are for foods we don’t eat anyway though. I am thinking about trying out an Aldi in the next town over though and I think they do accept coupons.

Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

Sasha, I have the same problem with coupons — most of them are for products we don’t buy to begin with. Also, the few times I’ve lucked out and found coupons for products we actually buy, even with the coupon the national brand is still more expensive than the store brand, so it winds up being a waste of time to clip them.

Profile photo of Jasper15
    Jasper15
    Participant

The prices at the stores have gotten absolutely ridiculous! I go shopping for my family every week and I used to be able to get our groceries for around $100 a week, but now I can’t get out of it for under $200 a week. There has been so many things that I have cut out too, but it still just seems to go up and up every month. I’ve tried doing coupons but there are so many things that I don’t buy and that is all they offer the discounts on.

Profile photo of Susana
    Susana
    Participant

Grocery prices just keep soaring. And now with the bird flue causing a shortage of eggs, the price of eggs has increased a lot. Our local grocery store even has a limit on how many dozens you can buy.

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

I invested in chickens to save money on eggs lol

Profile photo of Marian Swift
    Marian Swift
    Participant

The egg shortage seems to be worsening. Yesterday’s carton of eggs cost nearly twice as much as one we bought last month.

Backyard chickens are becoming more tempting, but it’s late July. Too late in the year to start?

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

The price of everything is getting ridiculously high and our pay is staying the same. You try to eat healthy but healthy food costs more. I try coupons and use my savings card but it still adds up. It’s very frustrating and has to end at some point.

Profile photo of wahmama
    wahmama
    Participant

I save on groceries by buying store brand, clipping coupons for big name brands, buying in bulk, and price-comparing online. I’ve also changed a lot of what we buy; unless fresh produce is on sale, we buy frozen. Unless red meat is on sale, we buy chicken.

Profile photo of Marie
    Marie
    Participant

Even if you can’t find coupons for the foods you typically buy, you can still save a ton with coupons for your toiletries, paper goods, laundry products, etc. I am caretaker to someone who must be on a very low sodium diet so I don’t buy convenience foods anymore, but I still save us a ton of money with all the non-food items that we all have to buy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup