How do you start?

Home Forums Transcription How do you start?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sanoa Sanoa 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Arcanaa
    Arcanaa
    Participant

Transcription is one of the big ones I see but I also see the need for qualifications to do this. How do you get started breaking into this and are there any up-front costs associated with it?

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

For legal and medical transcription you would need to know the terminology, which would require taking courses or studying the terminology if you can find it online. You sometimes work with heavy accents so if you don’t understand what they are talking about it makes it hard to know what to type. There is software you can download to start doing transcriptions and I believe there is a fee for that. A lot of transcription sites also want people with experience, if you don’t have any you will have to find ones that don’t.

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

I just added some jobs for regular transcription (not medical) here http://wahtips.com/transcription-2/

Some of the websites don’t require any experience and are perfect for those just starting out. I personally started out using Quicktate and TranscribeMe, they don’t pay as much as jobs that require experience but as with anything you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. I’ll be posting more soon, I have a lot companies that I am researching and it is taking a lot longer then I thought.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

I can say now that I am a little experienced in transcribing. Like Amanda mentioned, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. I started off offering transcription services on Fiverr and after a few good reviews, it became much easier to apply for jobs in other companies since I could just direct them to my feedback page.

It’s time consuming, but if you enjoy typing, you will like it.

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

Oh..no I do not think I could do this. Research and writing no problem but transcribing would quietly do my head in I think.
    How do you stay focused and not accidentally skip words and how long does it take? (In all honesty I find it hard to multitask)

Profile photo of Susana
    Susana
    Participant

It takes a bit longer when you are starting out, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually fun. You definitely have to be a fast typist. Some companies have their own platform for transcription, so you might be able to play a clip on a loop until you catch all the words. On others, you manually rewind and fast forward. Some companies may require that you have a foot pedal and transcription software.

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

Oh OK. I think I understand it…more or less, but it still does not sound fun.
    I think it is that there is not creativity. I am a frustrated writer at heart.

Profile photo of sarah
    sarah
    Participant

Transcription has appealed to me for a while now. I grew accustomed to transcribing notes in college rather than using a recorder, so I am generally good at typing at the same rate a person is talking. How much does the transcription software generally run?

Profile photo of Laina
    Laina
    Participant

I had very little experience in transcribing as well. There are companies who will hire you and train you. I worked with scribie.com. They have a long wait list but it was a good way to get some experience in. I’ve also heard rev.com will train you as well. I think some schools offer classes for this as well. You can do a short program and get a certificate.

Profile photo of Sanoa
    Sanoa
    Participant

I’ve thought about transcribing as well. I enjoy typing and am fast at it, so maybe I should check it out. I’ve been a little intimidated, especially since most companies I saw required experience that I don’t have.

Profile photo of Jasper15
    Jasper15
    Participant

I have had a certificate in medical transcription for about five years now and I am finding it very difficult to find work online. Like most people have said everyone wants experience and I don’t actually have any, just the certificate. I think that I will look into some of these places that are being talked about just to start somewhere and get the experience I need. Thanks for the tips!

Profile photo of Sanoa
    Sanoa
    Participant

Jasper, where did you get your certificate? Do you think it was worth your time and money to get even though you’ve had difficulty finding work?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup