How long should you sit at the computer at one time?

Home Forums General WAH Questions How long should you sit at the computer at one time?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Amy 1 year ago.

• Author

Tabitha D
    Participant

I’ve only been working from home for two months but I’ve noticed that I’m getting really sore lately. I realized when I thought about it that I’ve been spending 10-12 hours at a time sitting at the computer, only taking bathroom and lunch breaks. I’m sure that is why I’ve been so stiff and sore lately. I clearly have to schedule my time better and perhaps stop to stretch or walk around more often. Does anyone know what the ideal time is for staying at the computer before moving around or doing something else for a while?

Bali
    Participant

I usually try to get up and move around every 30 minutes or so. I make myself a to-do list everyday and it keeps me active when I’m not sitting at my desk, like running up and down the stairs with laundry. I also commit to 30 to 60 minutes of exercise every morning before I get started and that helps give me more energy.

Sally
    Participant

I have a young daughter at home to look after so I’m up from the computer about every ten minutes or so. I’m sure you could go longer that that, but it definitely keeps me from getting stiff from sitting for too long!

Tabitha D
    Participant

I just watched a news report that said you should do only 20 minutes at the computer at a time, then take 20 minutes to focus on something at least 20 feet away. I don’t see how that would work, though. They did say there are new lenses out there that can ease the eye strain caused by close work with monitors and displays but I don’t know if they’re widely available.

Amy
    Participant

I try and take breaks but I will sit at the computer for 8+ hours a day… I don’t realize how stiff I am until I stand up

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup