Obvious Scams

Home Forums Question of the Day Obvious Scams

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ruby Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

What’s the first thing that you look for when a job offer just doesn’t seem legit?

Profile photo of Arcanaa
    Arcanaa
    Participant

I want to know if they expect me to invest in stuff. There are many places that charge insane fees just to get free information which is already available online through a search engine. I avoid those places.

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

I agree Arcanaa. If someone is charging me a fee to work I avoid them. I can understand if there is specialized equipment you need, but if it costs a lot and I end up not working for them I’m out of the money. I usually search for reviews from people who have worked with the company. I like to know they are legitimate before investing my time with them.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

I agree with Arcanaa. There are so many places online; mainly survey websites, that ask you to pay a fee in order to sign up with them. That’s clearly a scam in my opinion. As soon as I see something like that,I stay away.

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

I would always type in “(company name) scam” into the Google search engine.

Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

I agree with Arcanaa, too. I’m always on the lookout for those “too good to be true” opportunities where you have to pay money in order to get started. I just feel like a work-at-home job should be like a work-away-from-home job; you shouldn’t have to pay… You should be getting paid!

George McFly
    Participant

I was nearly scammed earlier this week. It will cost the person doing it, the ability to work on Odesk.

Profile photo of mommy2b115
    mommy2b115
    Participant

What scam were they trying to run on you on Odesk, George? I’m not highly familiar with Odesk but I have been thinking about looking into it.

George McFly
    Participant

Ah yes, I wrote about this one in the questions thread. The guy won’t be in Odesk long

Profile photo of Sasha
    Sasha
    Participant

I always run the name of the company through a search engine with scam behind it to see what comes up. I do this whether or not I think the company might be a scam or not.

Profile photo of Penelope
    Penelope
    Participant

Like some of you, I run any potential company through a search engine with scam behind it. I also search online forums to see what people who have worked for them might have to say.

Profile photo of WAHWarrior
    WAHWarrior
    Participant

My first step is to look at company reviews. But I don’t take them all at face value. I read both positive and negative reviews. The truth is that even good companies can get bad reviews at times. I work for one company that you can find several reviews that call the job a scam. However, if you have worked for the company, you can tell that those people just aren’t a good fit with the job, and got mad about it. So I take some reviews with a grain of salt.

Profile photo of Laina
    Laina
    Participant

The very first thing I look for is if the job requires money upfront. Unless the money is for a background check, I hardly trust a job that requires money upfront. I also will Google the company and try to either read reviews or find information on them.

Profile photo of Bali
    Bali
    Participant

As most others have said, having to pay to work is clearly a scam. I think the only reason these scams still exist is because some people desperately need to work from home due to individual circumstances and when you’re desperate, you’re willing to take a chance even though you know deep down that it’s a mistake.

Profile photo of Ruby
    Ruby
    Participant

It’s not always easy figuring out what companies are scamming people and which are legit. I will search the company to see what is being said about them. I agree that t’s hard to tell if the review that says scam is really true or an angry employee.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup