Oh Kids

Home Forums WAH Mom’s/Dads Oh Kids

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Spring Spring 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

Working at home with a husband and a 3 yr old can get difficult at times. I am getting pulled in a million different directions, luckily I have an amazing son who is very independent. It can definitely get hard to focus though when all I can think of is my son and my house but I wouldn’t trade it for the world, I absolutely love being home with him all the time.

What do you do to keep from getting distracted?

Profile photo of Penelope
    Penelope
    Participant

I work before they get up and after they go to bed. 🙂 Seriously, that’s when I get the stuff that really has to be focused on done.

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

Same here Penelope. Sometimes they are engrossed in something and I get work done but most of the time they require me keeping an eye on them. Sometimes they want to help me work and they are pretty insistent! That’s when I close the laptop and get them outside.

Penelope
    Participant

Now that is one thing I did do…we have a sun room so I set up an old computer desk out there so I can take my laptop out and work while the kids play. There are still plenty of interruptions but it does give them a chance to burn off some energy.

Profile photo of Smarty
    Smarty
    Participant

I really try to be disciplined while I am working. I literally lock myself in the office for periods of 30 minutes. I make sure the kids are fully engaged and safe during that time. I also have a camera monitoring system, so I can keep an eye on them.

Profile photo of Arcanaa
    Arcanaa
    Participant

Life is full of interruptions so I gave up on not having them long ago, I kind of knew what I was getting myself into. The plus side is much better than an outside of the home job, at least for me it is. I kind of find peace in the chaos.

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

The good thing about working at home is that there are no time constraints on me. I can start at the time I want and not have to worry about having something in by a certain time during the day. The bad part is people think because you work at home you should be able to do everything, which isn’t true. Sometimes you can’t have dinner ready for 5:00 because you are so busy.

Penelope
    Participant

Smarty I really like the idea of a video monitor so I can keep an eye on them when I am not in the room. I may have to look into buying something like that. I can’t tell you how many times I get up to check on them and then get sidetracked into different tasks just because the kids got too quiet and I needed to see what they are doing.

Profile photo of kidz25
    kidz25
    Participant

I wouldn’t lock my door with my kids here. I do try to work when they are sleeping or in school. It just makes it easier that way. If my hubby is home, he watches our kids.

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

My babies are 14 and 17 respectively.

Profile photo of Sanoa
    Sanoa
    Participant

My kids are little and unfortunately none of them sleep much, so I just have to do the best I can, but it is hard to concentrate. At least now my oldest is in school so bedtime is a bit earlier and I can finish up work at night.

Profile photo of Jasper15
    Jasper15
    Participant

I do most of the same. I try to get up before everyone else and I work late at night after everyone has gone to bed, assuming I’m not burnt out from chasing them around all day! I think that I prepared myself for the distractions and they know that if mommy is working then they need to be patient and I will be with them shortly. Thankfully my kids are very independent and I can trust them most of the time.

Profile photo of Tara
    Tara
    Participant

Nap time. That’s when all my work gets done. It’s the only way. My 15 month old is very active and not easily distracted. Sometimes I can squeeze some work in by setting him down at my feet with my tablet. They have great free games you can download and most of mine are educational. He likes to swipe the alphabet, and every time it comes to c for cat he kisses the tablet. But that only lasts so long.

I also have a pet camera set up on his crib. It has night vision and audio so I can focus on my work and not go running at every noise.

Profile photo of burrr
    burrr
    Participant

Those of you who say they get up before everyone else and go to bed after everyone else, when do you sleep?!

Our teens are up until later in the evening and our baby is up at 6-7am. She goes to bed around 8pm but my partner likes a bit of grown up time then when we can spend some time together without the kids.

I’m guessing you are people who don’t need a lot of sleep? Pre-kids I needed 9 hours a night. Now I have a baby, I usually get by on 6 but that’s peppered with breastfeeding interruptions so not a full 6.

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

I am an insomniac with a 4 yr old so I don’t sleep much. I work throughout the day if he is busy with toys and I stay up most of the night after he goes to bed. My husband is gone for weeks at a time because of work so I like to keep myself busy and I only need about 4 hours of sleep to function. If I get anywhere over 6 I feel groggy and like I slept too long all day.

It’s gotten a lot easier since I first made this post a year ago but I still have days when I want to pull my hair out. 🙂

Profile photo of madhatting
    madhatting
    Participant

I love being able to work during the late evening hours. I know what they say about working nights is really no different than working days but the shift change for me just clicks. It is almost like I was born to work the graveyard shift.

Profile photo of Spring
    Spring
    Participant

Madhatting, it sounds like your working time is when you naturally have better energy and focus. I try to work during the day but it is challenging with the kids. I’m considering branching into phone jobs but I’m still not sure how that will work with the kids.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup