OK I do have a question….

Home Forums General WAH Questions OK I do have a question….

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of George McFly George McFly 3 years ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

I recently had someone contact me out of the blue on Odesk. It was a small company of 10 that does website development and SEO work. Both are highly competitive fields and are in high demand. It means there are heaps of jobs to apply for being applied for by a number of people.
    They are having a rough time bidding successfully and getting work and they figured if they got someone else, that they would have a better time bidding and pay 25% of the project to the bidder. That is where I come in. I know nothing about SEO and nothing about website development, but I convinced them of my writing and salesmanship to increase their chances when applying.
    They are wanting to pay me via paypal. I have used paypal before on Ebay and figure it is safe. What are your thoughts?
    ASecondly, do you think this arrangements sounds ok or destined for bad blood?

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

Odesk rules actually state not to take money from outside of Odesk. The reason for that is they make a percent off the payment, kind of like a finders fee. This makes it free to post a job, instead of paying upfront also. Another thing to look out for with this is outside payments are not guaranteed under Odesk and Paypal is great at disputing Ebay trasactions although they aren’t as good with outside of Paypal. I have had a lot of issues with a couple disputes outside of the Ebay realm. It’s almost like if the other person replies with anything they will rule in favor of the money making client over the paying customer.

Just stay safe, if anything seems “not right” to you, run away. You don’t want to get caught up in a scam or with someone who wants free work but doesn’t want to pay for it.

George McFly
    Participant

Ah ok. I may have to have a bit of a think about this and how it is set up. I had not really considered it too much. Not really.
    Some blokes wanted me to do what I do (write). I was to do this so they did not have to. They will pay me 25% of any applications that get accepted…that too made sense due to the fierce competition.
    They wanted to have someone giving them better odds at getting their applications through.

BUT…

You have kind of presented it in a whole new light. I was thinking well, if they pay they pay, if they don’t, I stop working with them. So far its only first 24 hours or so and no aplications approved, so its academic. But maybe I should try to legitimise this to make sure they pay through Odesk and perhaps I cop the 10% so we are not running afoul of that? I would not care 25% would become 22.5%

I definitely think there is more to think on with this.Thanks heaps Amanda.

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

Let us know how it works out! 🙂

George McFly
    Participant

Ah, a new development. Two contractors working around me were suspended. I talked to Odesk and they quite ok with me. I then asked what I could do to avoid the same fate. They said because of my conduct, I was fine, but (thanks Amanda) I should make sure that the payments are not paid offline.

Looks like a large contract I applied for has been shortlisted – from 108 applicants, down to 18. So this may be worth about $100 to me after odesk fees.

George McFly
    Participant

Hahaha. The plot thickens.

Three accounts associated with the company were suspended and I think I know why.

I had the owner of the company ask me for my password for Odesk. I was astonished. He quickly piped in with the fact that he wanted to take the php test on my profile. I said that I really did not wish him to take this on my profile as I personally have no php skills and do not wish people that I am bidding for website design work to think that.

He said “I am an honest person”. I more forcibly rebuked him with telling him that though this is probably true, if he were accessing my account from another country using my account but another ISP I could get my account closed down even though we are both honest people.

He then said, you do not understand, I need to get more jobs. Your account is useless to me without it. I said I know you need jobs, which is why I have been bidding for you.

Then he blatantly and in caps lock said “GIVE ME YOUR ODESK ACCOUNT AND PASSWORD”

This is what I wrote.

If what you are saying though is “I want your account to be my second account and I want to transform your account into a proxy account of mine not set up for you an Australian trying to fns writing jobs but rather as an account geared towards my personal needs and skills and to be used completely for my own usage until such time that Odesk find that the account has been accessed by multiple ISP’s from across the world, in which case they will be suspended like three other accounts associated with my company this week”, then NO.

I hope I have been clear here and you are not going to ask me again.”

George McFly
    Participant

Screw it, I will just cancel my agency with them in Odesk. Sounds like it will not get easy from now on with that company.

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

Oh wow! I’m glad you didn’t give in. I thought it all sounded suspicious. You can find a better job than that.

George McFly
    Participant

Anything for the quiet life

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup