Phone Line

Home Forums Home Office Phone Line

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of buster buster 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Spring
    Spring
    Participant

For those of you working phone jobs, do you need to have an old-fashioned landline, or is a landline through your internet provider acceptable? Right now my landline is through my internet provider.

Profile photo of Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

It depends on the company, however, most want you to have an old fashioned land line for security and reliability reasons. Drop calls are a lot more frequent with Voip which can cause a lot of angry customers and companies losing money.

Profile photo of Spring
    Spring
    Participant

Thank you. I didn’t realize VOIP was more subject to dropped calls but I suppose that makes sense. I’ll look into getting a regular landline.

Profile photo of Ladybug
    Ladybug
    Participant

A line through your internet provider is not usually VOIP. If it’s through your cable company, it is just fine for job purposes. I’m not sure if it’s the same for a satellite internet provider, but if it’s cable or DSL, those are fine.

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

My phone is through our internet provider. It’s not cable, more like satellite, and the line drops sometimes or goes offline. It’s frustrating when you are trying to reach someone and the line goes dead. I wouldn’t suggest using anything but an old fashion land line.

Profile photo of lilylady
    lilylady
    Participant

I worked a home call center job for awhile, and they definitely wanted me to have an old fashioned land line. It certainly would have been more convenient the other way, since I already had an internet provider phone line, but they wouldn’t go for it.

Profile photo of Marian Swift
    Marian Swift
    Participant

In the current state of the art, old-school landlines are still far more reliable than any other type of connection. I use landline for phone jobs, and a cell for business calls outside of the phone jobs. For me, internet-based calling is reserved for conference calls.

On a household safety note, I find it reassuring to have all 3 communications options available, because it’s rare to have all of them fail at once.

Profile photo of buster
    buster
    Participant

It seems like almost every company wants a different type of phone setup. Right now we have something called a hybrid. It is not a full VOIP line, it is not traditional, but it is digital. I don’t understand it at all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup