Selling Homemade Edible Items

Home Forums General WAH Questions Selling Homemade Edible Items

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gennie Gennie 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of sunny18
    sunny18
    Participant

Has anyone tried baking or making jelly or something similar? I think I would like to do this, but I’m afraid there are a lot of health and inspection issues. Anybody know or tried?

Profile photo of Ladybug
    Ladybug
    Participant

I haven’t done this but I can tell you that there are tons of rules about anything food-related, as well as homemade personal care items. Some of this varies depending on where you live, though, so the first thing you should do is check with city hall.

Profile photo of calicocat
    calicocat
    Participant

We have a business center in our town that has a commercial kitchen you can rent. I have thought about using it to make some bakery items to sell at fairs. Of course, I think there still may be health department permits involved, but having a commercial kitchen to use eliminates some of the obstacles.

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

My mother-in-law sells her produce, from baked goods to canned goods, at a local farmer’s market. There are rules, one being that she had to have a separate sink just for washing her hands and vegetables. They could not be washed in the same sink as the dishes! We ended up creating another kitchen in what was supposed to be a mudroom. It was a little pricey.

Profile photo of wahmama
    wahmama
    Participant

A friend of mine keeps telling me that I need to do this and advertise the goodies on local Facebook groups. I’m thinking about it but I just don’t know; you need money up front for baking supplies/food items and if someone backs out of an order… well, you’re kind of stuck.

Profile photo of Gennie
      Gennie
      Participant

You’re right wahmama. It would be costly to start but then you’d have to figure out your pricing to take all the expenses into account along with your hours spent making the food.

I thought about making meals for the elderly in the neighborhood, small pre-packaged meals that can be frozen or put in the fridge. Everything that goes along with it is expensive though. There are rules in our city about what you need to do health wise to cook for the public at home. It just seems to be too much to even get started.

Profile photo of Lilly
    Lilly
    Participant

I have never tried this or even heard of it before. I guess there will be a lot of rules involved when it comes to selling food items. I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 124 bytes) in /home/dj02132011/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-statistics/vendor/browscap/browscap-php/src/phpbrowscap/Browscap.php on line 1006