Standing desks

Home Forums Home Office Standing desks

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Amanda Amanda 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Susana
    Susana
    Participant

I have been looking at standing desks since it appears that sitting is the new smoking in terms of wreaking havoc with our health. I am still undecided. I understand that being sedentary all day is not good, but I would think that standing all day could lead to back pain. I think the key is to take breaks from sitting every couple of hours. Does anyone have a standing desk and what are your thoughts about it?

Laina
    Laina
    Participant

I have never heard of standing desk. Do you have the option to sit at all (Like does it have a way to move down if you wanted it too). I don’t think I’d enjoy standing all day. I already do a lot of running around the house with my 2 year old. I’ll have to research these some more.

sarah
    Participant

I’ve seen treadmill desks before, and I’m fairly interested in getting one eventually. It is difficult to get my walks in on busy days, and a treadmill desk would eliminate that particular problem. In the meantime, I have a yoga ball chair. It helps with back pain, and I’ve noticed a bit difference in my posture.

Jasper15
    Participant

They have standing desks at my doctor’s office. While I was earning my degree online, my doctor told me that she really recommends that I get a desk like that and if I couldn’t find one then to stack a bunch of books under my laptop on the table so that I could get the benefits of standing. I like the idea of these desks, but I don’t think I would be able to do it for a full eight hours.

Sanoa
    Sanoa
    Participant

I would like a standing desk, but I do want the option to be able to sit sometimes as well. I haven’t really looked into my options yet. The treadmill desk sounds awesome in theory, but it’s hard for me to read, much less type, while on a treadmill so I don’t think it would work well for me.

Justine
    Participant

I have seen standing desks and I have been seriously thinking about getting one of these. I would like one that gives you both the option to stand as well as sit because I too think that standing all day leads to back pain. I can not see myself using a treadmill desk though, I don’t think I would get much work done with that one.

Gennie
    Participant

I’ve never tried a standing desk and now my curiosity is peaked. Do you actually stand or lean against a seat? Standing all day could be as painful as sitting all day. I’d probably prefer to invest in an ergonomic chair and get up and walk around.

Luna L.
    Participant

Can anyone actually point to what it is about standing versus sitting that’s supposed to be more beneficial? I too have heard of standing desks but am unclear on how it works with your body for long periods of time.

Amanda
    Amanda
    Keymaster

Standing desks have been shown to lessen back pain and can help burn calories. I will say that you need a good balance of sitting and standing to really make a difference with pain. Standing all day can be just as hard on your body as sitting all day so if you are uncomfortable, sit down. I like the adjustable desks personally, that way you can adjust when it’s needed. I really think before anyone invests in a standing desk they do research to see if it’s right for them. There are so many studies and articles about them online, I would read everything. I am thinking of adding my own article on wahtips soon although I don’t have a whole lot of personal experience with standing desks yet so I have been putting it off.

If anyone else on here has a lot of experience with them though and wants to write an article for wahtips, let me know. It’s $20 per 1,000 word article.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup