Volunteering at school

Home Forums WAH Mom’s/Dads Volunteering at school

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Justine Justine 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of kidz25
    kidz25
    Participant

My kids think that I can volunteer any time that they want me to. I try to tell them that I have deadlines still even though I’m working at home. Do you volunteer a lot at your children’s school?

Profile photo of Mellisant
    Mellisant
    Participant

I’ve volunteered for a few of the school trips which were fun and interesting. Some of the parents volunteer weekly, which is something I can’t do. I just don’t have the time to do it. The kids are fine with it.

Profile photo of kidz25
    kidz25
    Participant

Exactly! My kids would like me to volunteer every week. That would be twice a week. I do go to each classroom every other week. So I am there once a week. I also like to sign up for the fun things.

Profile photo of WAHWarrior
    WAHWarrior
    Participant

I did a little for the short time my kids were in school (instead of homeschooling). I am constantly surprised at how many friends with kids in school report that the schools expect them to show up to things during the day. Don’t most parents work?

Profile photo of Penelope
    Penelope
    Participant

My kids are also homeschooled, but I know the schools here expect a lot of parent involvement. I imagine that most parents WANT to be involved, but they do have to work and most employers aren’t thrilled with them skipping out on work very often.

Profile photo of Sanoa
    Sanoa
    Participant

My daughter’s school is pressuring me to volunteer. I don’t mind doing it in the evenings but during the day I’m working. They seem to think that since I’m at home, I’m free to help them out.

Profile photo of calicocat
    calicocat
    Participant

I would think that would be very irritating. If you work from home, the general population just doesn’t understand that time constraints exist for you too. It’s very hard to be taken seriously, and you just have to take a stand, and say no.

Profile photo of Justine
    Justine
    Participant

I have done this as well, but not on a weekly basis. I know a lot of parents who come in almost every day and my daughter doesn’t understand why I don’t do this. In fact, her teacher has often said to me that I should come in more often since I stay at home. I have tried to explain to her that even though I am home, I am still working. She just doesn’t seem to understand how my work schedule is.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup