Where to start…

Home Forums New to WAH Where to start…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ruby Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of sarah
    sarah
    Participant

I’m relatively new to freelancing, and I’m trying to learn as much as I can about the different fields available. For those of you who are more experienced, where are some good starting places for someone who doesn’t have much experience?

Profile photo of George McFly
    George McFly
    Participant

I am in exactly the same boat and a couple here are, BUT many here are not.
    I would possibly suggest Odesk, Elance and maybe seeing if you can pick up some loose projects to give you confidence. Then depending on what you were after would depend on what I could suggest.

Profile photo of Susana
    Susana
    Participant

Many people have been successful on Fiverr. You can create different gigs based on your skills and offer your services on the site. It might take a while for you to build a customer base, but that is going to be the case on any site when you are first starting out. Check out Fiverr and see if it could be a good fit for you.

Profile photo of sarah
    sarah
    Participant

Fiverr seems like it might work, but I’m not sure what to advertise for five dollars. I do a lot of writing and editing, and I can see proofing/editing 1000 words for $5. Is that a decent rate, or am I cutting myself short?

Profile photo of Sasha
    Sasha
    Participant

Sarah that sounds about right as far as Fiverr goes. As to your original question sites like this and other work at home mom forums are a great way to find the best places to try. They will usually steer you well clear of the places to avoid.

Profile photo of Ladybug
    Ladybug
    Participant

Keep in mind that Fiverr takes 20% so you’re down to $4, then whatever PayPal fees you have to pay. In reality, you only end up with $3.50 to $3.75 per gig. With their rule about contacting clients outside the Fiverr environment, it’s almost impossible to build up a private clientele.

Profile photo of Ruby
      Ruby
      Participant

I’ve found that also, Ladybug. Sites like Fiverr really don’t help you earn money. You will be doing a lot of work for a minimum amount of pay. If you need to gain experience it may be useful.

Profile photo of Luna L.
    Luna L.
    Participant

I think you have to start with your passion. What are you really good at, that you could do all day long? Then get into a positive mindset about attracting and being open to the perfect opportunities. Don’t take stuff just for money, leave room for what you love and feels like a great fit!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress Backup